There are lots of opportunities to today’s news to bring civics education into the classroom. The State of Iowa Law Library has some excellent resources about the Constitution, how to go to small claims court, and other legal topics. Iowans can check out the materials. To search for more legal information, both general and specific to the state of Iowa, go to the online catalog at http://iowa.ipac.dynixasp.com/.
Connections to 9-12 Iowa Core Essential Concepts and/or Skills:
• Understand the rights and responsibilities of each citizen and demonstrate the value of lifelong civic action.
• Understand how the government established by the Constitution embodies the enduring values and principles of democracy and republicanism.
• Understand the purpose and function of each of the three branches of government established by the Constitution.
• Understand the differences among the complex levels of local, state and national government and their inherent, expressed, and implied powers.
• Understand strategies for effective political action that impacts local, state, and national governance.