Photos, postcards, letters, newspaper articles, etc. help Iowa history and culture come alive. The State Library of Iowa has collections on Iowa governors, Drake Relays, Iowa county histories, Civil War letters, and children's diaries. More than 45 different digital collections contain hundreds of thousands of items and include the ability to browse through the images or to search for specific items.
Connections to 9-12 Iowa Core Essential Concepts and/or Skills:
• Understand the rights and responsibilities of each citizen and demonstrate the value of lifelong civic action.
• Understand how the government established by the Constitution embodies the enduring values and principles of democracy and republicanism.
• Understand the purpose and function of each of the three branches of government established by the Constitution.
• Understand the differences among the complex levels of local, state and national government and their inherent, expressed, and implied powers.
• Understand strategies for effective political action that impacts local, state, and national governance.